Is afirma thyroid fna analysis-molecular marker test by veracyte any good for diagnosing papillary thyroid cancer? Http://carolinaendocrine.Com

Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: Pathologist

Already answered(and saw some other answers) to this post earlier today; there is no better way to diagnose this than with a tissue biopsy and an experienced pathologist.

In brief: Pathologist

Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Maybe

We probably do too many unneccessary thyroidectomies for noncancerous nodules.
Many fna's are indeterminate (showing follicular cells that are not clearly cancer or benign). We often operate on these patients. It is hoped the molecular genetics will sort these out. I am not sure if the test is "ready for prime time" but if your result in negative and the nodule is small, close followup may be ok.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. William Forsythe