Cure for alcoholism naltrexone?

Dr. Luis Villaplana
In brief: Not a cure
Naltrexone will help alcoholism by staving off the effect and making you sick if you drink.
Alcoholism is not curable but treatable addiction disordet.

In brief: Not a cure
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
2 comments
Dr. Gregg Albers
Naltrexone affects the desire to drink, and the reward your brain feels from the alcohol. It will not make you sick.
Dr. Stuart Wasser
I agree with Dr Albers. People can drink on Naltrexone without getting sick and it reduces cravings by a variety of mechanisms. Nevertheless, when we reduce the euphoria associated with drinking, we become more aware of the negative effects of alcohol on our body and may become a little ill. Howve, naltrexone is not antabuse
Dr. Mark Reynolds
In brief: Diminishes effect
Naltrexone blocks opioid receptors which are thought to play a role in the reinforcing properties of drinking.
Studies support that it can help to diminish the number of days of heavy drinking in a subset of patients with alcoholism. It is not a cure. It does not make u sick to drink on it. Vivitrol is very nice as a depot injection that stays with one for 30 days.

In brief: Diminishes effect
Dr. Mark Reynolds
Dr. Mark Reynolds
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Addiction Medicine
In brief: One of the
Fda approved two ways to take naltrexone: a pill once a day (naltrexone, revia) or a shot once a month (vivitrol).
There is another method, when the patient is instructed to take Naltrexone only before drinking. There are some evidence that of these works better. I use this "sinclair method" a lot. In my practice, i normally combine naltrexon with other medications to increase the odds of success.

In brief: One of the
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Dr. Mark Shukhman
Dr. Eric Weisman