My 6.5 mo old crying while pooping and poop is mostly solid. Gassy too. Has been eating "1st foods" since 5mos. Should I be worried?

Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: NO

In my experience, some foods like bananas and apples can be a bit binding.
So can potatoes for some children. Dairy (yogurt) can be constipating in some children as well. For some probiotics can be helpful. I agree...Discuss with your pcp.

In brief: NO

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: NO

Worried- no. Was your child gassy and having solid poops like that before first foods? If not then there is something in the diet that may be creating the problem. I generally recommend examining all the foods you are feeding.
Even starting over...Introducing one food at a time. At six months i suggest using table foods..If you can mush it, the child can eat it.

In brief: NO

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Probably not?

A 6 1/2 month old with crying with bm's that are solid with gasseousness could be benign or somwhat more serious.
There could be an anal fissure (tear of anus) or ulcer. Probably not, or could be just due to constipation. A tablespoon of dark kayro syrup to a couple of bottle a day may help or some malt supex. Some colace (docusate sodium) in the bottle may help. More fruit and fiber may help. If in doubt, c pcp.

In brief: Probably not?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Jonathan Jassey