What does it mean if my cervix starts to open before I am full term?

In brief: Depends

Women who have had babies before often dilate before they go into labor. In first time moms early dilatation puts one at risk for early delivery, but one still may deliver at term. If the dilatation is happening after 36 weeks it is of litle concern.
Dilatatation in the 24-34 weeks range is more concerning for being a precursor to preterm labor.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. John Geisler
Gynecology - Oncology

In brief: Dilation

Early dilation can be a sign of preterm delivery.
If you have had previous children it can be normal (common). If you are very early in gestation, you need to see your doctor.

In brief: Dilation

Dr. John Geisler
Dr. John Geisler
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham