Is type 2 diabetes genetic?

Dr. Stephen Daquino
Sports Medicine

In brief: Partially

It has a strong genetic component but is also strongly tied to lifestyle habits.
If you have close relatives with type 2 diabetes you have a better chance of developing it. You can also develop it with poor diet, lack of exercise and obesity. Use caution with carbs and fats. These types of foods trigger Insulin in our bodies and lead to Insulin resistance and eventual diabetes.

In brief: Partially

Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Somewhat

There appears to be a genetic predisposition, but lifestyle plays a huge role.
Mainaining a proper weight, watching diet (limiting carbohydrates), not smoking, and exercising regularly seems to help prevent diabetes. Even if genetics has determined that a person will develop diabetes...Good lifestyle can make it much easier to manage.

In brief: Somewhat

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Fares Rabadi
Internal Medicine - Diabetology

In brief: No

Genetic is one factor of it but other factors play big roll.

In brief: No

Dr. Fares Rabadi
Dr. Fares Rabadi
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: ItCanBeIfFamilyHisto

Type 2 Diabetese can run in families.
But if you have some one in your immediate family who has type2 Diabetese does not mean that you are sure to get it.But I recommend my patients with family history to avoid getting fat or obese,exercise regularly,eat diet low in carbs and avoid sugars.And get regular checks.Even with bad genes you can prevent Type2 Diabetese

In brief: ItCanBeIfFamilyHisto

Type 2 Diabetese can run in families.
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Adam Smith