I've been a one pack smoker for the last four years. I am 24now. I recently quit and am doing good. Are there any chances of lung cancer? What steps can I take?

Dr. Chad Levitt
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Mild increase. Stop

The increased risk of lung cancer due to smoking is dependent both on genetics as well as lifestyle.
The risk due to smoking depends both on how many packs per day but also for how many years one smokes. After quitting risk slowly decreases but not to level as if u never smoked. Some people have a genetic predisposition that requires low exposure. Some lung cancer develops in non smokers. Quit.

In brief: Mild increase. Stop

Dr. Chad Levitt
Dr. Chad Levitt
Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Congratulations

Good on you for quitting before you have done too much damage.
Believe it or not your chances of developing lung cancer or significant pulmonary disease after only 4 pack years is relatively low.

In brief: Congratulations

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Short history

And quiting early means your risk is very low, and survival similar to non-smoker. But, you must never smoke, and avoid those that do smoke - side stream smoke worse than filtered.
Genetic issue: egfr mutations (asian, women, non-smokers), alk - these are quite small but show proof of principle that molecular understanding finds results, and some quite specific non-curative therapy.

In brief: Short history

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Lawrence Hochman
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Never start again!

Your lung cancer risk is diminishing daily since you've quit smoking.
The best thing you can do is to never smoke again and maintain good diet and exercise

In brief: Never start again!

Dr. Lawrence Hochman
Dr. Lawrence Hochman
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology