I have an uncircumcised son with a disability who will oneday be responsible for his hygiene. Is being uncircumcised much more difficult to maintain cleanliness?

Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Cleaning uncirc peni

No it is not difficult unless some complication e.
g. The foreskin has adhesions that keep it from moving off the glans penis. Ordinarily there is not going to be a problem. I would ask his doctor during the next examination, as to what the doctor's opinion is concerning your question.

In brief: Cleaning uncirc peni

Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo

In brief: Some consider it so

Self care for hygene is a formidable task for some special needs kids & impacts day care/school/social & other activities.
If a child can learn to handle routein toileting issues it is unlikely a foreskin would add much to the job. Were the child to have a related problem, balanitis or phimosis as he grew older, removal might help.Some probs don't arise until the teen yrs when hormonal chgs occur.

In brief: Some consider it so

Dr. Bryan Levey
Adhesions are normal and separate at puberty. I agree with Dr. Ferguson that if your son can handle his own hygeine anyway, whether he's circumcised probably won't make much difference.

In brief: Maybe

It may be more difficult for a disabled child to maintain good hygiene regarding his genitals, however it will likely involve his overall personal hygiene.
He may need assistance for many activities of daily living. I am not sure this is reason enough to pursue circumcision unless he is having specific problems regarding his foreskin. It would be something to discuss with his pediatrician.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Matthew Thom
Dr. Matthew Thom
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Teach him retraction

Teach him to retract the prepucium often until the prepucium gets completely retracted easily without or with baby oil.
If this is near to impossible then he might benefit from circumcision that can be done under general anesthesia by an urologist.

In brief: Teach him retraction

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Cindy Juster