I'm taking trilipix (135mg) and lovaza....They're fairly expensive...Can I substitute them with OTC niacin and OTC fish oil pills? Thanks!

Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: Generic fenofibrate
My guess is you have very high trig level to require both trilipix and lovaza.
You must know about the importance of lifestyle factors. You could try otc omega 3, but if your trig level is over 500, it is highly advisable to continue trilipix or a generic fenofibrate. Generic Fenofibrate is less effective than trilipix and needs to be taken with meals. Especially fat meals.

In brief: Generic fenofibrate
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Andrew Carroll
In brief: You might
I have had success with changing people from those two medications to over the counters.
It really depends on how bad your triglycerides are. You might ask your physician to change from trilipix to fenofibrate, which is a generic form of that medication. You can also ask them about over the counter omega 3 fish oils.

In brief: You might
Dr. Andrew Carroll
Dr. Andrew Carroll
Dr. James Cunnar
In brief: Do a 3 month trial
This is a great question.
To see how effective the over-the-counter meds will work, you need to get baseline labs while taking trilipix and lovaza. Then, change to an equivalent otc dose (4000 mg fish oil, and 1000 mg niacin). You'll need a recheck of your lipids after 3 months, and compare the results. Keep your diet consistent. Make sure your doctors are aware and agree!

In brief: Do a 3 month trial
This is a great question.
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Try others
Consider Lopid ( gemfibrozil) which is older and has generic instead of trilipix and substitute Lovaza for over the counter omega 3, fish oil, flagseed.
Diet is still important low fat, low alcohol, reduce weight, .

In brief: Try others
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Rodney Samaan
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Possibly yes
This is a very common question.
Otc fish oil is not that effective and tends to have more mercury. Lovaza is a great drug, but quite expensive. Metagenetics has a form of fish oil called dha/epa 720 that you can order online, which is a purer and more potent form of fish oil. You can also find it on my website: www.Drsamaan.Meta-ehealth.Com niacin otc may cause flushing.

In brief: Possibly yes
This is a very common question.
Dr. Rodney Samaan
Dr. Rodney Samaan
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology