I'm taking trilipix (135mg) and lovaza....They're fairly expensive...Can I substitute them with OTC niacin and OTC fish oil pills? Thanks!

Generic fenofibrate. My guess is you have very high trig level to require both trilipix and lovaza. You must know about the importance of lifestyle factors. You could try otc omega 3, but if your trig level is over 500, it is highly advisable to continue trilipix or a generic fenofibrate. Generic Fenofibrate is less effective than trilipix and needs to be taken with meals. Especially fat meals.
You might. I have had success with changing people from those two medications to over the counters. It really depends on how bad your triglycerides are. You might ask your physician to change from trilipix to fenofibrate, which is a generic form of that medication. You can also ask them about over the counter omega 3 fish oils.
Do a 3 month trial. This is a great question. To see how effective the over-the-counter meds will work, you need to get baseline labs while taking trilipix and lovaza. Then, change to an equivalent otc dose (4000 mg fish oil, and 1000 mg niacin). You'll need a recheck of your lipids after 3 months, and compare the results. Keep your diet consistent. Make sure your doctors are aware and agree!
Try others. Consider Lopid (gemfibrozil) which is older and has generic instead of trilipix and substitute Lovaza for over the counter omega 3, fish oil, flagseed. Diet is still important low fat, low alcohol, reduce weight, .
Possibly yes. This is a very common question. Otc fish oil is not that effective and tends to have more mercury. Lovaza is a great drug, but quite expensive. Metagenetics has a form of fish oil called dha/epa 720 that you can order online, which is a purer and more potent form of fish oil. You can also find it on my website: www. Drsamaan. Meta-ehealth. Com niacin otc may cause flushing.