What is the recovery for an open inguinal hernia repair?

In brief: Variable

Usually, it's uneventful, but it really depends on the individual.
In general, i tell my patients they will have significant pain for the first 3 days and the pain will start improving after that. My patients take between 1 and 2 weeks off from work.

In brief: Variable

Dr. Michelle Gordon
Dr. Michelle Gordon
Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Surgery

In brief: 2-4 weeks

Depending on the technique the surgeon chooses, you could be released to non-restricted status as early as 15days.
You should probably be released by 4 weeks, unless you have some underlyiing issues which would prolong your recovery. Now, just because you've been released to lift or exercise doesn't you mean you won't still have some residual soreness. Listen to your surgeon. Good luck.

In brief: 2-4 weeks

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery