My dad was released from the hospital with CHF and given carvedilol 25mg 2x daily. I've read patients start with 3.125mg. Why was his dosage different?

Dr. Mark Stern
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Everybody is differe
Everybody is different and his dose was probably titrated up according to his blood pressure and pulse rates.

In brief: Everybody is differe
Dr. Mark Stern
Dr. Mark Stern
Dr. Dana Valencia
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Beta blocker
Your father was either changed from previous beta blocker at hight dose and chnaged to hospital formulary.
Or he was in a lower class of CHF that he may tolerate that dose.

In brief: Beta blocker
Dr. Dana Valencia
Dr. Dana Valencia
Dr. Andrew Carroll
In brief: Depends
You're correct that the typical starting dose is 3.
125mg. If he had high blood pressure, diastolic dysfunction, or some other specific cardiac abnormality other than chf, this may have been the reason why he was started at a much higher dosage. I would discuss this with his cardiologist. If he is experiencing dizziness with rising from a seated or laying position, call them sooner.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Andrew Carroll
Dr. Andrew Carroll
Dr. Rodney Samaan
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: You are right
The dosage should start low and build up to the max dose that you mentioned, 25mg bid.
If his blood pressure is tolerating the higher dose, than it may be fine, however, if he feels tired and weak, the he may need to be on the lower dose of Coreg (carvedilol) to start out with and build up to the max dose.

In brief: You are right
Dr. Rodney Samaan
Dr. Rodney Samaan
Dr. PETER MAGNUSSON
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Potentially too high
The usual starting dose for new onset systolic heart failure is 3.
125 mg. Two possible explanations for his dosing: 1) he had previously been on a similar dose or 2) his CHF was dominantly diastolic heart failure due to uncontrolled hypertension and the Carvedilol dose was for BP control.

In brief: Potentially too high
Dr. PETER MAGNUSSON
Dr. PETER MAGNUSSON
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology