Could I be having a boy or girl I crave a lot of chocolate. I am only 12 weeks so its to soon to tell.?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Girl? Boy? Bon bon?
An ultrasound exam in the second or third trimester often shows the gender of a fetus.
It is up to the expectant woman to decide if she wants to know. The only thing we can predict based on chocolate cravings is that eating too much of it decreases appetite and crowds out healthier foods (or adds pounds). So asking an OB about the best time for ultrasound and best diet is what should be done now.

In brief: Girl? Boy? Bon bon?
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
In brief: Yes!
A 12-week pregnant woman with chocolate cravings is certainly having a boy or a girl! however, one cannot yet tell boy from girl, and it has nothing to do with chocolate cravings.
It can be so exciting and suspenseful, not knowing the baby's gender until the birth. Remember that ultrasounds were only started in the 1960's. For thousands of years, a baby's gender was a wonderful surprise at birth!

In brief: Yes!
Dr. Bryan Levey
In brief: Guys crave choc too!
Old wives tales about telling the sex of the baby include: cravings of all kinds.
Whether you carry high or low. Whether you gain weight in front or back. Whether a gold ring dangled from a chain swings in circles or lines. That you can tell the gender by mixing the mom's urine with drano. That you can tell the gender by the fetal heart rate. All fun. All bunk.

In brief: Guys crave choc too!
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey
2 comments
Dr. Pam Yoder
Well, I think the Drano could be dangerous....
Dr. Bryan Levey
me too! but people believe it and do it.
Dr. Andrew Carroll
In brief: Not specific
Cravings are not specific to the gender of a child.
They are hilarious though--my own wife craved corn dogs and fruit punch with our second child, two things that are on the "do not fly" list with her before and after the pregnancy. Fulfill the craving, but remember to eat healthy otherwise and exercise!

In brief: Not specific
Dr. Andrew Carroll
Dr. Andrew Carroll
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: US/CVS
Via amniocentesis with corionic vellous sampling is possible to know but risky.
The less risky test of knowing -with some certainty-the sex of a baby is with ultrasound after 16-20 week gestational age. Even at that time or later the genitals may look similar and give a false impression. Ultrasound is, after the 20th week of pregnancy, generally more than 90% accurate. Chocolate has nothing to do.

In brief: US/CVS
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Paul Cohen
In brief: Maybe...
It truly is too early to be 100% sure; but you should be coming up to your first sonogram.
..And if you want to know i'm pretty sure the sonographer(in conjunction with the ob) would tell you. However i'll share with you that even having been told one sex or the other; sometimes people get "surprised" in the delivery room. My advice is to hope for healthy; leave the gender up to the powers above.

In brief: Maybe...
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham