What is the percent risk of my child catching polio versus the percent risk of my child having a bad reaction to the vaccine?

In brief: Enough to ponder
An asymptomatic polio carrier can get on a plane in the third world, fly to your state & enter your mall/store/ population & the germ can be in your local for wks & be passed to your kid.
The inactivated polio vaccine has negligable issues & prevents a deadly disease. If we are lucky and can eliminate polio from the world we can stop the shots. Until then accept that the germ can be next door.

In brief: Enough to ponder
2 comments
Dr. Bryan Levey
Well said.
Dr. Francine Yep
There are so many tough decisions we make as parents. Sounds like you're being thoughtful and careful. You can find a good summary of risks in US and internationally here: http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4215.pdf Hope this helps. Good luck with your decisions.
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Wait a Minute
In your comment you refer to the combination vaccine pediarix, but you question only the polio component.
If you refer to the 1% statistic and include diptheria, polio, tetanus, pertussis, and hepatitis b diseases in an unimmunized population, your odds are much greater than 1%. So it is safer to immunize.

In brief: Wait a Minute
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Paul Cohen
In brief: Tiny...however...
My take on this is that the risk of an adverse reaction to being immunized against polio is very tiny; the risk of actually contracting the disease is also ver tiny.
..But you don't want to go through the latter. My advice is to discuss the matter with your pediatrician; then make your decision.

In brief: Tiny...however...
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Both are very low
But your child is not living in a bubble and wildtype polio still exists.
The vaccine is quite safe.

In brief: Both are very low
The vaccine is quite safe.
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Dr. Jonathan Jassey