My 3 year old daughter slept on the floor (carpet) ( it happens from time to time) but when she woke up today her eyes were a little puffy- thoughts?

Dr. Gerald Lee
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Might be dust mites

Or may be an isolated incident.
Dust mites are microscopic bugs that reside in carpet, mattresses, pillows, and bedding that cause eye and nose allergies with close contact, like sleeping on carpet. If a consistent pattern develops, you may want to see an allergist for confirmation by skin testing.

In brief: Might be dust mites

Or may be an isolated incident.
Dr. Gerald Lee
Dr. Gerald Lee
2 comments
Dr. Gerald Lee
Now I am afraid I will be of little help to you, because without knowing the whole story and doing a physical exam I won't be able to tell what the swelling is due to, if I agree it was the amoxicillin, and how long it might last. I would have expected you to mention a rash, which is commonly seen in drug allergies so I am not sure what else other than the eyes made your doctor suspect the amox.
Dr. Alan Khadavi
Usually if there is amoxicillin allergy there would be a widespread rash not just limited to the eyes, usually it presents as hives.
Dr. Michael Klein

In brief: Mild allergies

A few things could cause puffy eyes in such a situation- a mild allergy to the dust mites from being in the carpet or cat dander or others would certainly get worse if the face was in the carpet all night.
Also one could imagine not sleeping as well in such a situation and having puffy eyes from sleeping. Over the counter Claritin (loratadine) could help if problematic or just wait a day and likely all ok.

In brief: Mild allergies

Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham