What is separation anxiety?

See answer. It's a normal part of development, and it usually happens around 8-9 months of age and may last until a year or so. The child experiences anxiety when separated from the primary caregiver (usually the mother) and might cry, cling to that caregiver.
The "camp cries" Often really seen for the first time when kids go away to camp separation anxiety is when a child has an overwhelming anxiety response when separated from their caregiver. Like homesickness on steroids and it can happen anywhere, like a sleepover or even just going to school in the morning.
In infancy. Separation anxiety is a normal developmental milestone at 9-12 months that means your baby has " object permanence, " a mental representation of someone/something he can't see. Separation anxiety disorder in older children includes their worrying that something bad will happen to their parent or themselves while separated.