A fine needle aspiration (fna) test of my thyroid nodule - (1.8cm) came back with "suspicious for malignancy" (category 5) result here in australia. My?

Ask a Pathologist. Fine needle aspirations are difficult to interpret since the amount of tissue taken is very small. In your particular case the prase "suspicious for malignancy" is strongly suggestive of cancer by the pathologist. A final veredict would be to get another bigger sample or go for exploratory surgery with the intent to perform the subtotal thyroidectomy as a treatment for the cancer. Ask endocrine.
Suspicious. Thats not a result, the result will be a pathology report from the aspiration describing the sample examined with microscope. Check with your doctor, i hope it turns out well.