A fine needle aspiration(fna) test of my thyroid nodule -(1.8cm) came back with "suspicious for malignancy" (category 5) result here in australia. My ?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Ask a Pathologist
Fine needle aspirations are difficult to interpret since the amount of tissue taken is very small.
In your particular case the prase "suspicious for malignancy" is strongly suggestive of cancer by the pathologist. A final veredict would be to get another bigger sample or go for exploratory surgery with the intent to perform the subtotal thyroidectomy as a treatment for the cancer. Ask endocrine.

In brief: Ask a Pathologist
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
2 comments
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
The Dr. Who ordered the test must discuss the final pathology report with you and decide what is the next step.
Dr. Nagesh Ragavendra
"Suspicious for malignancy" diagnosis on FNA generally requires a surgical consultation. Other options: you can request a 2nd opinion of FNA diagnosis by sending out the slides to another cytology/pathology facility, repeating the FNA to confirm the original diagnosis, do additional testing, such as, gene profiling run by Veracyte (disclosure:I've no financial interest in this company), or surgery
Dr. George Valdez
In brief: Suspicious
Thats not a result, the result will be a pathology report from the aspiration describing the sample examined with microscope.
Check with your doctor, i hope it turns out well.

In brief: Suspicious
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. George Valdez
Oh, ok, if that was summary on path, more likely cancerous, but agree, may need more tissue and more clear answer, if papillary type thyroid cancer, 10 yr survival approaches 90% so worst case, still often curable.
Dr. Arnon Rubin