How common are chocolate allergies for a toddler?  have you heard of people being allergic to chocolate?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Traces of peanuts

Watch for labels that say "contains traces of peanut", "may contain traces of peanut", "made on shared equipment with peanut" & "made in a plant where peanuts are processed".
There's a 10% chance of measurable peanut in any of these situations - sometimes enough to trigger reaction in an allergic person. Hazelnut (aka filbert) & almond are often found in chocolate especially european chocolates.

In brief: Traces of peanuts

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Possible, but....

True chocolate allergy is rare - usually it is a reaction to another ingredent (peanuts, soy, dairy).
Definitely wait until your child is over 1 year old before trying any chocolate, and then cautiously if you have a family history of allergies to any of these ingredients. As with any food type, introducing individual food ingredients is better at first.

In brief: Possible, but....

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
2 comments
Dr. Charlene Sojico
have not have one allergic to chocolate, peanuts are common in kids even down to 6 months old!
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Neilsen is spot on. Watch for labels that say "contains traces of peanut", "may contain traces of peanut", "made on shared equipment with peanut" & "made in a plant where peanuts are processed". There's a 10% chance of measurable peanut in any of these situations - sometimes enough to trigger reaction in an allergic person. Hazelnut (AKA filbert) & almond are often found in chocolate.
Dr. Gerald Lee

In brief: Very rare

True life threatening hives and anaphylaxis to chocolate is very rare.
Chocolate is often blamed as the trigger when a child eats a food containing milk, nuts, wheat, or other more common allergenic foods. If your child apparently reacts to chocolate, get the ingredient list and review it with your allergist to discover any hidden, more common allergens.

In brief: Very rare

Dr. Gerald Lee
Dr. Gerald Lee
Dr. Brian Novick

In brief: Uncommon

In my experience chocolate is not a common cause of food allergies.
.I think it is overplayed in the media. However, a good history and skin test by an allergist can usually make the diagnosis for you. If you are suspicious of any food allergy( ie., your child has had symptoms after eating a food), it is safest to avoid the item(s) until you see an allergist.

In brief: Uncommon

Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Uncommon but...

It is possible to be allergic to virtually any food but some foods are much more commonly allergenic than others; chocolate is a relatively rare allergen.
But as my colleagues mention, chocolate is usually combined with other ingredients that are more commonly allergenic, especially milk & soy lecithin. Some are allergic to sugar & chocolate may have traces of nuts, so a reaction may be to those.

In brief: Uncommon but...

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker