In degen. Disc disease, is it better to fuse l5-s1 if disc 1/2 collapsed or wait til disc completely goes & pain is unbearable & nerve damage occurs?

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
In brief: None
Usually, degenerative disc disease is not surgically corrected if no nerve impingement is present.
Just treating back pain with surgery will cause more back pain due to scarring and presence of the presence at other levels. If there is nerve impingement and symptoms of it, then surgery will help free the nerve and improve the symptoms.

In brief: None
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Pain Management
In brief: It's not that simple
Intervertebral disc degeneration is a normal aging process.
It may cause pain because of "leakage" or most commonly because of abnormal nerve ending ingrowrh into the disc. Discography should answer question of exact nature of the problem. Fusion may not help in majority of cases.

In brief: It's not that simple
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Mark Cantieri
I would be hesistent to do discography in light of the evidence that it accelerates degenerative disk disease (dddx). If the the pain is 24/7 it may well be discogenic, but if it is itermittent look foor another reason for the pain.
Dr. SEGUN RASAKI
Pain Management
In brief: DEGENERATIVE DISC
This is something you have to discuss with your orthopedist and your primary care physician, as you have to weigh all of your options based on all information available to you.
I always say "surgery only take pain away if there is dislocation or fracture, no cure for pain" pain can be managed or controlled. Good luck.

In brief: DEGENERATIVE DISC
Dr. SEGUN RASAKI
Dr. SEGUN RASAKI
Dr. Eric Weisman