Are hair relaxers unsafe during pregnancy?

Dr. Paul Cohen
In brief: Probably
I have historically counseled all my pregnant patients to avoid all extraneous "products"/"chemicals" during their pregnancy.
Even though hair relaxers are applied topically; they are absorbed through your scalp and the make-up of the products is the unknown. Some might argue differently but i always err on the side of caution; better to avoid in the short term than risk long term problems.

In brief: Probably
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dermatology
In brief: Hair relaxer pregnan
I would not suggest using hair relaxers when you're pregnant.
The sulfur can be problematic and you don't want to risk anything to your baby when you're pregnant.

In brief: Hair relaxer pregnan
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dr. Jane Van Dis