How do I tell a malignant lump in the armpit from a benign one?

Dr. Francine Yep
In brief: See your doctor
Hard to tell. Lumps can be confusing and concerning.
Reasons to see your doc: pain, redness, fever, feeling bad all over, weight loss, a lump that's been there longer than 3-4 weeks, a lump that's changing no matter how long it's been there. If you have questions or you're just not sure, it's a good time to see your doctor. Hope this helps.

In brief: See your doctor
Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
In brief: See a doctor
Many times, a soft tissue lesion that is either benign or malignant can have similar descriptions, and it's easy to go either way on written format.
I can tell you most of my med school classmates had diagnosed themselves with cancer at one time or another after reading a textbook description. Make an appointment with a doctor and let somebody examine you and tell you what it is. Then you'll know.

In brief: See a doctor
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Keegan Duchicela