It started from flu, then my chest felt stuffy and I couldnt get the phlegm out, what should I do?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Options

Chest congestion can be a big issue for patients getting over the flu.
I would recommend increasing your water intake which will thin mucous. You should also try delsym/mucinex or any over the counter guafenesin. If you have fever you should get an x-ray to rule out pneumonia which can be a complication that occurs with influenza.

In brief: Options

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. David Wyatt

In brief: Agree w Dr Milstone

Hydration is super important.
Mucinex (guaifenesin) twice a day is helpful to thin out the mucus slightly so it's easier to cough up. Issue is Mucinex (guaifenesin) can upset stomach and needs the extra water to work! i explain it as making the mucus or phlegm less sticky.... Agree if not getting better after a week or associated with persistent fever you would need a chest x-ray and md evaluation for pneumonia.

In brief: Agree w Dr Milstone

Hydration is super important.
Dr. David Wyatt
Dr. David Wyatt
Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Mucolytic/fluids

If you are not short of breath, running fever, having pain in your chest with breathing or producing putrid or bloody sputum, perhaps you need a mucolytic.
Guiafenesin products (mucinex (guaifenesin) type meds) with good volumes of water will thin secretions and allow you to cough them up easier. Increasing humidity in your enviroment may help. Stay hydrated. Cough is a good thing at times to remove these.

In brief: Mucolytic/fluids

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine