I am pregnant and have developed a cough with some phlegm. Is there anything OTC I can take? I have chest congestion and its painful to cough.

Dr. Megan Bird

You can take Robitussin and tylenol (acetaminophen) safely.
You can also use saline nasal spray. You should talk to your doctor about taking decongestants.

Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology

In brief: Cough expectorants

Look for otc cough medicine that has guaifenesin, which helps bring up phlegm, and dextromethorphan which is cough suppressant.
Here's link to list of otc medications safe in pregnancy & breastfeeding: http://womenshealthfremont.Com/webdocuments/medications-in-pregnancy.Pdf.

In brief: Cough expectorants

Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Scott Kramer
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Tylenol (acetaminophen) Products

Generally anything with tylenol (acetaminophen) in the name is considered safe.
Tylenol (acetaminophen) cold and sinus, for example. For worsening symptoms such as fevers, see your doctor.

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology