Would a mental and substance abuse doctor perscribe Xanax (alprazolam) for axiety and panic attacks?

See below. It also depends on how often you use the meds. My rule of thumb is that two episodes of use per week is reasonable. However, there is still a danger of igniting heavier use even with this regimen.
Perhaps temporarily. Possibly, but this prescription would most likely be temporary rather than long-term. Most would emphasize psychotherapy & support, and not medications alone since therapy can often produce more lasting positive changes than meds alone. There are also very effective and less addictive medicines than xanax (alprazolam) for anxiety and panic attacks, if long-term ones are needed.