What is the best water to use in a neti pot?

Dr. Lori Wagner

In brief: Distilled water

Use distilled water. You can use tap water, if you boil it and then let it cool prior.

In brief: Distilled water

Dr. Lori Wagner
Dr. Lori Wagner
2 comments
Dr. Maziar Rezvani
Avoid tap water, it can be contaminated with pathogens and I have seen patients develop sinusitis from using tap water for neti pots or sinus rinses
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Would sterile isotonic saline be of benefit?
Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Neti-pot Beware

I usually recommend neti-pots to my patients.
However, recent reports raise some concerns about how they are being used. Please make sure it remains clean (top rack of dishwasher will sterilize). And use a sterilized saline rinse (boiling your own is fine). See: http://tinyurl.Com/co25z74.

In brief: Neti-pot Beware

Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Russell Faust
I just interviewed Dr. R. Tolan on this issue. He is a world-renowned expert on CNS infections, including Amoebic Meningitis. Here is the link to his thoughts on Neti pots, nasal rinses, and "brain-eating amoeba": http://wp.me/pR4iB-Pk
Dr. Russell Faust
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Boiled Water

Even better than distilled water - which is not guaranteed sterile - is boiled water. After boiling for a few minutes, there is nothing dangerous surviving in your water, and it is safe to use in you neti pot or squeeze-bottle for nasal saline rinses.

In brief: Boiled Water

Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Distilled water

Make sure to wash the pot regularly with hot water and a little soap, and replace the pot every few months.
You shouldn't use unsterilized tap water. Instead, use distilled water or premixed packages of solution. You may have heard of two cases of fatal brain infections due to a rare amoeba.

In brief: Distilled water

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Lea Danielsen

In brief: Sterile or distilled

The cdc recently recommended distilled, sterile or previously boiled water. There was a recent problem in la with tap water and amoeba, called naegleria fowleri, which enters the body through the nose and caused devastating meningitis in a few people.
It is also important that the nedi pot dry completely. Be sue to use salt without iodine.

In brief: Sterile or distilled

Dr. Lea Danielsen
Dr. Lea Danielsen
Dr. Russell Faust
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Distilled Water

Funny you should ask.
I just finished a phone interview of dr. Robert tolan, infectious disease expert, and expert on the subject of amoebic meningoencephalitis (am). There have been a couple cases of am reported in the popular media recently, reported to be related to neti pot use. This has not been confirmed by the cdc or medical experts. However, distilled water is best for nasal rinses.

In brief: Distilled Water

Funny you should ask.
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Gerald Lee
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Distilled or boiled

Here is a recipe for a salt water rinse from the american academy of allergy, asthma and immunology.
http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/treatments/saline-sinus-rinse-recipe.aspx.

In brief: Distilled or boiled

Dr. Gerald Lee
Dr. Gerald Lee
Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: Saline, not water

Google instructions for making the saline for your neti pot.
When it calls for kosher salt, use that because the iodine in regular table salt burns. Once you make your saline, keep it in a clean, sealed bottle. Before each use, add saline to your neti pot, then microwave your neti pot with saline in it before you use it. This will sterilize your saline and the pot before use. Check the temp!

In brief: Saline, not water

Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Michael Borookhim

In brief: Article....

http://www.huffingtonpost.
com/2011/12/17/brain-eating-amoeba-death_n_1155334.html#access_token=aaaaacuipepubahrsnvmuwzbdgeldmmqzazbzabzavpny9xemlebeldgoiladesxis8zbjghdgrabiyndxqvahv1evf8eon0mguk0cpnkv5zbgzdzd&expires_in=4801.

In brief: Article....

http://www.huffingtonpost.
Dr. Michael Borookhim
Dr. Michael Borookhim
Dr. William Forsythe