I use ear wax removal systems for my ears. Do you have any precautions or concerns with those?

Dr. Anifat Balogun
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Ear wax removal

As long as your ear is not occluded with hard, compacted wax (cerumen) ear wax removal systems can be quite beneficial to clear wax from ear canals.
You may however, need the assistance of a otolaryngologist to clean your ears with specialty instruments for best results. Some primary practitioners are able to irrigate the ears.

In brief: Ear wax removal

Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Anifat Balogun
2 comments
Dr. Paul Cohen
Agree with Dr. Yoder. Please do NOT USE Q-TIPS!!! at all in an attempt to solve the problem yourself!!! This may cause an unintended perforation of the ear drum.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
One of my favorite ear wax removal treatments is peroxide. A couple drops a couple times a day for up to a week can "melt" the wax. It is very effective for soft wax. Hard compacted wax is best and most quickly treated by an ENT and his handy suction machine.
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Why use anything?

My biggest concern is that, in general, you want wax in your ears.
Wax protects the skin, moistening it and protecting it from infection. Trying to remove wax from inside the ear canal can anger the skin causing it to just secrete more wax. If your canals occlude, occasional softening followed by gental irrigation can help. In general leave your ears alone.

In brief: Why use anything?

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
4 comments
Dr. David Wyatt
then you would want to use a wax softener like Cerumenex - over the counter i think and rinse with warm water - usually in a large syringe with a plastic tip to just fit on the OUTSIDE of the canal - do NOT try to pick out the ear wax - you can cause bleeding and introduce infections... if it does not move - go see your Family Doc - most are equipped to help , if not ENT definitely can !!!
Dr. David Astrachan
I agree with Dr. Wyatt. Unfortunately, sometimes the wax softening just turns the wax into a mush that stays in the canal. In that case, best to see an ENT
Dr. Marsha Davis

Jus don't go too deep as you can damage the ear drum.

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis