Should I see a perinatologist for my new pregnancy? I have suffered one ectopic, one miscarriage, and pre-term labor @ 23 wks. No live children.

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Seeing MFM early

Many of us perinatologists or subspecialists in maternal-fetal medicine (mfm) encourage women with a history of prior losses to bring records for consultation before or early in pregnancy.
We use the information and history to help create a plan for the healthiest possible pregnancy and know the patient in case problems develop. Plus we interact with OB care provider and do advanced fetal imaging.

In brief: Seeing MFM early

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Hassan Harirah
With this significant obstetric history, MFM specialist evaluation is of paramont importance to delineate the underlying possible case/cases and implementin of supervising the appropriate treatment or intervention.
Dr. Jerome Yaklic

In brief: Ask your primary Ob

You should start by having a discussion with your primary ob.
What do they think is causing your pregnancy losses. Have they done a work up? What is their plan for your next pregnancy. Many generalist ob/gyns would feel comfortable still treating you. If they are not completely comfortabnle with your problem, they may recommend a consultation and co-management.

In brief: Ask your primary Ob

Dr. Jerome Yaklic
Dr. Jerome Yaklic
Dr. Carol Major

In brief: Poor OB History

I would recommend that you see a perinatologist for your new pregnancy.
Your history of a preterm delivery at 23 weeks makes this pregnancy a high risk pregnancy. A perinatologist will be able to determine the best management plan for this pregnancy.

In brief: Poor OB History

Dr. Carol Major
Dr. Carol Major
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias

In brief: Of course.

Yours will be a high-risk pregnancy no matter what, so you should seek mfm care early on.
I hope that with good care and some luck you will achieve your reproductive goals - be patient and responsible.

In brief: Of course.

Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Dr. Debra Jones

You should have a consult with a perinatologist or an OB who has experience in treating high risk pregnancies to discuss your options in this current pregnancy.
There are several options that may be discussed.

Dr. Debra Jones
Dr. Debra Jones
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Probably

You need to start with an obgyn first.
Perinatology may get involved as well, although, from what i can tell, the major risk for you is preterm labor at 23 weeks. An experienced obgyn might be able to handle it. If not, he will request perinatology consult. Ectopic can easily be ruled out by us.

In brief: Probably

You need to start with an obgyn first.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: High Risk...

Congratulations on your pregnancy.
Given your history you should at least be follwing with an ob/gyn that is 'high-risk'...He/she will determine whether or not you should be referred onward to a further sub-specialist. Best of luck to you!

In brief: High Risk...

Congratulations on your pregnancy.
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: Good idea

It might be of benefit to you to get good prenatal counseling at this point.

In brief: Good idea

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Jonathan Jassey