If a person has penicillin allergy, is it safe to eat roquefort, blue, or gorgonzola cheese? Does the mold in the cheese make penicillin?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Great question

Reactions to penicillin in foods eaten by persons allergic to penicillin are rare - perhaps 10 cases in past 25 years worldwide.
Cases involve eating meat from an animal given penicillin before slaughtering. I found no cases attributed to the cheeses listed. They use a different species of the genus penicillium to add flavor. Also many persons who think they are penicillin allergic are not.

In brief: Great question

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Edward Neilsen

In brief: Should be fine

Penicillin was traditionally isolated from specific molds, but the concentration is very low.
I am unaware of this ever being a problem, even in the case of severe allergy.

In brief: Should be fine

Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Marsha Davis