Is it safe to take plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) while pregnant?

Not safe. "usage of this drug during pregnancy should be avoided except when in the judgment of the physician the benefit outweighs the possible hazard. Please take note that this medication can rapidly be adsorbed by the placenta and my cause damage to the fetus's eyes.
There can be risks. You need evaluation to see if the benefit outweights the risk. There can be a risk to the baby, but we give to a lot of people who need it despite the risk. You need to discuss it with you physician.