Why do some people choose a supracervical hysterectomy?

Dr. Denise Elser
Gynecology
In brief: Many reasons
For many, the body of the uterus (not the cervix) is causing problems such as pain, heavy bleeding, or mass (fibroids).
A supracervical hysterectomy (lsc) performed laparoscopically- less complicated, less time under anesthesia, minimal risk of infection, much less post op pain & recovery time. If uterine(cervical) ligament support is good& paps are normal lsc can be a great choice.

In brief: Many reasons
Dr. Denise Elser
Dr. Denise Elser
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
In brief: Not sure
Supracervical hysterectomy is not a standard option nowadays since the cervix really plays no major rôle in the absence of the uterus.
I don't know of anyone in my practice who specifically requested supracervical hysterectomy. It appears to be somewhat old practice.

In brief: Not sure
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
There is very little benefit to retaining the cervix at the time of hysterectomy. The potential for bleeding, pain, abnormal pap tests, and additional surgery are all increased when supracervical hysterectomy is performed. Supracervical hysterectomy is an outdated procedure that is now only rarely indicated.
Dr. Adam Levy