Anyone heard of natural way to clear fluid for child ears. I tried cupping ear w my hands to create pressure/movement and it seemed to clear fluid. ?

Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Prevention is best

Prevention is best.
One easy manner is to not feed the child while the child is laying flat. Always feed while upright if possible. Chronic fluid that accumulates doesnt cause significant problems - often will resolve (but does need to be followed to make sure that it does or doesnt cause significant hearing loss). I generally don't recommend maneuvers such as you describe.

In brief: Prevention is best

Prevention is best.
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Farhad Sigari
2 comments
Dr. Tim Kilkenny
The pressure check (tympanogram) that ENT or Pediatrician does can help guide whether pressure has resolved. If pressure does not resolve and/or hearing is affected may still recommend tubes. But, these are relatively easy and can help enormously.
Dr. Farhad Sigari
I only recommend ear tubes for chronic fluid if it causes significant hearing loss or other measurable problems. There is enough evidence out there that watchful waiting is appropriate for chronic fluid(without significant hearing loss). You are welcome. :)
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: No easy answer

Fluid forms in the middle ear when the connection between the middle ear and the nose blocks up.
This connection is called the eustachian tube. Treating the reason it blocks can help such as treating an infection or allergy. Ultimately though air has to go from the back of the nose up into the ear. If the child can blow his nose forcefully this can open the tube allowing air to go in and fluid out.

In brief: No easy answer

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Patrick Melder
There is no scientif proof that cupping your hands to create pressure or "pumping" the area behind and below the ear clears fluid. For the sake of your child and his/her hearing... please see your pediatrician or an ENT for treatment.
Dr. John Straus

In brief: Allergy

If fluid is a chronic problem always suspect food sensitivity.
Many children with frequent otitis media have sensitivity to either milk, egg or wheat products. The famous allergist dr. J breneman showed the association between food sensitivity/allergy and many chronic symptoms and illnesses such as eczema and asthma. Eliminate these 3 foods for 3 weeks to evaluate.

In brief: Allergy

Dr. John Straus
Dr. John Straus
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Craniosacral Therapy

Fluid alone in the ears is harmless.
It can take a few months to clear. Having said that, I have had good success with craniosacral therapy. You can look up upledger institute online and find trained therapists in your area. It is gentle and noninvasive and really helps clear fluid in the ears. (it helps with many other health related issues as well).

In brief: Craniosacral Therapy

Fluid alone in the ears is harmless.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Shontae Buffington