What measures are conventionally used to "measure" a patient's pain?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Pain scales...
There are different ways to measure pain.
If the patient is alert/able to speak coherently, etc. , they are asked to rate their pain on a scale of 0-10 where 0 is no pain and 10 is the worst pain you've ever had. If a person is unable to do this, a behavior scale can be used which is based on facial expressions like grimacing.

In brief: Pain scales...
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. SEGUN RASAKI
Pain Management
In brief: PAINMETER
"painmeter" is yet to be invented.
Pain is a 5th vital sign and it is what you tell anybosdy listening. It is a subjective phenomenon. Good luck.

In brief: PAINMETER
"painmeter" is yet to be invented.
Dr. SEGUN RASAKI
Dr. SEGUN RASAKI
Dr. Edward Neilsen
In brief: Many choices
There are many different scales to "measure" pain.
A variety of these can be viewed at: http://painconsortium.Nih.Gov/pain_scales/index.Html there are validated scales for most ages and physical states (such as for people who cannot respond to questions). Unfortunately these are mostly subjective, meaning they depend on a person's prior experience with pain.

In brief: Many choices
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Melvin Glover
In brief: 10 point pain scale
I typically ask patients to rate their pain on a scale from 0 to 10, with 0 being no pain, and 10 being the worst pain that they can imagine.

In brief: 10 point pain scale
Dr. Melvin Glover
Dr. Melvin Glover
Dr. Melvin Glover
10 point scale is pretty standard. Regarding addiction, I tend to use non-addictive meds (ie anti-inflammatory meds) to treat pain. However, when patients need stronger medications that have a risk of addiction, I take a careful history regarding substance use/abuse. I provide only a small amount of medication for a brief period of time, and refer them to a specialist if indicated.
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Board Certified, Pediatrics - Critical Care