How should I treat my shoulder pain?

Dr. Dennis Giannini
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: NSAIDS, ice, heat...

Pain, stiffness, and inflammation can be relieved with over-the-counter medications like advil or aleve (naproxen).
Follow directions on label. Ice for about 45 minutes will address inflammation and swelling, never apply ice to the skin, always over a towel or clothing. Follow this by heat for about 20 to 25 minutes to help soothe and relax tight muscles. Gentle range of motion and stretching exercises.

Talk to a real doctor now ›

In brief: NSAIDS, ice, heat...

Follow directions on label. Ice for about 45 minutes will address inflammation and swelling, never apply ice to the skin, always over a towel or clothing. Follow this by heat for about 20 to 25 minutes to help soothe and relax tight muscles. Gentle range of motion and stretching exercises. Talk to a real doctor now ›