I have a severe insomnia and headache. What should I do ? Thanks.

Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Start with a good GP

Sleep disorders are among the most common, the most significant, most under-treated of medical conditions in america today.
Headache may be anything from a symptom of stress, muscle tension, poor sleep habit to a brain tumor. If this is scaring you: good. You need a thorough general medical check-up, complete blood work, and then appropriate referrals. You will not be able to do this alone.

In brief: Start with a good GP

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Eval + sleep hygiene

I agree with dr. Kurzweil.
Start with your physician. A consult with a sleep specialist & polysomnogram are sometimes indicated. In the meantime, you can focus on good sleep hygiene. 1. Keep a regular bedtime & wakening time (to include weekends). Get up the same time each day, regardless of what time you fell asleep. 2. Make a regular, relaxing bedtime routine. Relaxing rituals prior to bedtime.

In brief: Eval + sleep hygiene

I agree with dr. Kurzweil.
may include a warm bath or shower, aroma therapy, reading, or listening to gentle music. 3. Sleep in a dark, quiet, cool room on comfortable mattress & pillows. 4. Use the bedroom only for sleep & sex. Have work materials, computers, & TVs in another room. 5. Finish eating at least 2-3 hs prior to your regular bedtime. 6. No caffeine within 6 hours; alcohol & smoking within 2 hours of bedtime. 7. Exercise regularly; finish a few hours before bedtime. 8. No naps. 9. Go to bed only when sleepy. Lay in bed only for sleeping, not for work or watching TV. 10. Designate another time to write down problems & possible solutions in the late afternoon or early evening, not close to bedtime. 11. After 10-15 minutes of not being able to get to sleep, go to another room to read or watch TV until sleepy. Consider chamomile tea before bed. Warm milk. Lavender oil in bath or lavender scent on pillow. Melatonin is very helpful. Acupuncture often works well for insomnia.
Dr. Eric Weisman