Is the hCG diet effective?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Hooey!

Bogus science, no substantive evidence to support its use, very low calorie diet that in itself can cause weight loss; can have significant side effects; banned by fda and mlb.
Avoid it. Think twice about practitioners recommending it.

In brief: Hooey!

Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. David LaMond
Bariatrics

In brief: NO

I support the us fda decision to remove HCG weight loss products from the market.
Scientific studies do not support the use of HCG promotes a "normal" distribution of fat, or that it decreases hunger. In studies comparing weight loss with psmf (protein sparing modified fasts) 500-800 calorie a day diets vs HCG diet (500 cal/day for 30 days), HCG diets do not perform any better than the psmf.

In brief: NO

Dr. David LaMond
Dr. David LaMond
Dr. Lonny Horowitz
Bariatrics

In brief: Worthless

Yea! fda just pulled this garbage off the market! fraud -- anyone advising it is uninformed and questionable!

In brief: Worthless

Dr. Lonny Horowitz
Dr. Lonny Horowitz
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
I prescribed this early on adn following additional studies discontinued prescribing this; while I did prescribe it I noted everyone lost weight while taking it but it was really due to the low calorie diet they were following.. Remember "Todays State of teh Art Medicine is Tomorrows Malpractice"

In brief: No; sounds unsafe

The HCG diet has a person eating 500 calories a day for more than a month.
That's just one big slice of pizza a day. A 4-month old baby eats 500 calories a day. Anybody on 500 calories a day is on a starvation diet and will lose weight. It doesn't sound safe. Extremely low calorie diets don't work because the weight comes back when one starts eating again. Long-term lifestyle changes are needed.

In brief: No; sounds unsafe

Dr. Scott Shapiro
Anti-Aging Medicine

the hcg is not causing the weight loss.
It is the low cal diet.....hcg determines which kind of weight you are losing......it preserves muscle mass & helps lose the "abnormal" fat 1st. You aren't living on just 500 calories/ day, but also on the mobilized fat stores. I have done the diet myself with great success. 1000s of patients have lost & KEPT the weight off. Only Dr. supervised tho!

the hcg is not causing the weight loss.
Dr. Scott Shapiro
Dr. Scott Shapiro
Dr. Michael Rothman

The HCG diet was originally developed by a.
T.W. Simeons M.D. During the 1940's -1950's. It has been used all over the world for over 50 years. This method is extremely safe & effective when used under the care of an experienced & trained md. Apparently HCG has an effect on your hypothalamus, increasing adiponectin levels & reducing leptin resistance. The method must be followed strictly to work.

Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Michael Rothman