How to get rid of baby hiccups?

Dr. Bryan Levey

In brief: Agree with Dr. F.

I would add that in nearly two decades of pediatrics I have yet to see a baby who is as bothered by the hiccups as the mom is.
Usually the mom is worried, and the baby is perfectly fine, hiccuping. A good rule of thumb: if it bothers the baby, it needs to be seen to. If it bothers only the parents, it's probably ok.

In brief: Agree with Dr. F.

Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey

In brief: Time

Hiccups are felt due to a wave of energy moving thru the breathing muscle similar to the one that drives the heart beat.
Babies often have it late in pregnancy and continue off/on for months after birth.Some theorize a role of the stomach rubbing the diaphram that stops as the baby grows longer & stomach rubs it less.Reguardless, in 3 decades I have found nothing that works consistantly to stop it.

In brief: Time

Dr. Subir Mitra

In brief: Hiccups

I would not grey to get rid of these.
First of all it does not hurt or bother the baby. Secondly, this is normal for babies as their neurological system is still immature and developing. Therefore hiccups are very normal. They only seem to bother mom and dad.

In brief: Hiccups

I would not grey to get rid of these.
Dr. Subir Mitra
Dr. Subir Mitra