I am a woman in my 30's with acne. Why is it worse during the time of the month leading up to my menstrual period? What hormones cause this?

Progesterone. As discussed the shift in Progesterone along with aerogels gave this effect. One treatment option is vitamin b6 which when taken one week prior to period may have positive effect on menstrual flares of acne.Another option is gugulipid, an indian herb which effects cholesterol and trigylerides and has been shown to be safe for acne.
Acne. This is often caused by a relative change in the balance of estrogen, estradiol, Progesterone and testosterone in the system. During the last half of the menstrual cycle estrogen starts to decrease, Progesterone increases at first then decreases, and relatively testosterone increases which can cause skin changes and acne.