I am a woman in my 30's with acne. Why is it worse during the time of the month leading up to my menstrual period? What hormones cause this?

Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dermatology

In brief: Adult acne in women

Very often there is a type of adult acne that women see, especially around the neck and jaw/chin.
It may be related to the ration of estrogen to Progesterone that changes during the menses. See a dermatologist for appropriate treatment.

In brief: Adult acne in women

Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
The usual first line treatment is antibiotics, either oral or topical. If that fails to work, hormonal treatment with oral contraceptives such as Yasmin, may be effective in some women.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: True

Lots of women experience acne flare up in the premenstrual phase.
Usually the second phase of the cycle (after ovulation) leading to menstruation is called luteal phase and is hallmarked by marked Progesterone secretion that would potentially help a fertilized egg cell to stay in the uterus and implant. What hormones in particular cause acne flare ups is hard to tell.

In brief: True

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Jane Van Dis