How does the technology for gender selection with IVF work?

Dr. Scott Roseff
Fertility Medicine

In brief: We test the embryos

One cell is removed from each embryo on the third day of embryo growth, and that cell is analyzed for male/female gender (called pgs for gender selection).
Two days later one or more embryos of the chosen gender is/are placed in the uterus. My patients also can opt to have the embryos tested to see if they are genetically normal.

In brief: We test the embryos

Dr. Scott Roseff
Dr. Scott Roseff
Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: Very cool...

With modern technology; and a very involved process 'we' are able to label the components of fertilization and "pick" a gender. It is not 100%, and very expensive.
I am a traditionalist; whatever you're blessed to get is what you get...As long as the babies are healthy then no worries.

In brief: Very cool...

Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Geoff Lowrey
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: A couple of ways

It can be done either by separating sperm based on weight (the sperm that produces females is heavier;) after conception by genetic testing when the embryo is 6-8 cells large.
The first method is right about 70% of the time. The second method is more reliable.

In brief: A couple of ways

Dr. Geoff Lowrey
Dr. Geoff Lowrey
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham