What is the bigget risk factor for breast cancer?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Breasts

1 in 8 women in the us will develop breast cancer in their lifetime, therefore no woman should feel immune to this disease.
The best chance for cure exists when we catch the cancer before it causes any symptoms; the best test to find breast cancer is a mammogram. I recommend beginning mammography at age 40, unless one has a family history of breast cancer at an early age. Mammograms save lives.

In brief: Breasts

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
3 comments
Dr. Barry Rosen
In my experience, many women presume that they are not at risk for breast cancer if they have no family history. The truth is that 85-90% of all breast cancers occur in women WITHOUT any definable risk. In the absence of more definitive knowledge of what causes breast cancer, our best bet for cure is to screen all women, beginning at age 40.
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Agree with Dr. Rosen's remarks. Female gender at higher risk as compared to male counter part, Age and family history of cancer (genetics), length of estrogen exposure is to name a couple more.
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: You

Being a female with breast - #1 risk factor. Other risk factors: early menses, late menopause, 1st child at 35, no children, hormone replacement therapy, alcohol, family history and being a carrier of brca1/brca2 genes.

In brief: You

Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Dr. Clarence Wimberly

In brief: Breast cancer

Probably the highest risk factor is inheritance, meaning mother, sisters, etc you can be tested for a gene for female cancer named braca gene which if positive gives you a high risk for cancer.

In brief: Breast cancer

Dr. Clarence Wimberly
Dr. Clarence Wimberly
Dr. Paul Zhang
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: BrCA1/2

The strongest risk factor is jews women with brca1/2 mutation.

In brief: BrCA1/2

Dr. Paul Zhang
Dr. Paul Zhang
2 comments
Dr. Michael Thompson
There are a number of risk factors for breast cancer. A very high risk (but not very common) is the BRCA1/2 mutation. Women with "mantle" radiation for Hodgkin lymphoma are at a high risk for developing breast cancer -- ~25% historically, and ~10% with current radiation techniques.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Jewish women with a BRCA mutation have no higher breast cancer risk than non-Jewish women with a BRCA mutation. I believe Dr. Zhang is trying to point out that women of Ashkenazi Jewish descent have higher rates of BRCA mutations than the population at-large.
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery