Is a malar or "butterfly" rash always indicative of lupus? What else could it be?

Dr. Timothy Rodgers
Dermatology

In brief: Not always lupus

A malar or "butterfly" rash is one of the signs of possible lupus, but other rashes can appear similar, including eczema, rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, and others.
A complete history, physical exam, and possible skin biopsy and/or blood test can usually distinguish between these rashes.

In brief: Not always lupus

Dr. Timothy Rodgers
Dr. Timothy Rodgers
Dr. Clarence Wimberly

In brief: Butterfly rash

I would like to add that rosecea is a common type of rash that can also appear to be like the type of rash you refer to.

In brief: Butterfly rash

Dr. Clarence Wimberly
Dr. Clarence Wimberly
Dr. Clarence Wimberly

In brief: Butterfly rash

A butterfly rash is not always from lupus.
An irration rash can cause this as well as seborrhea.

In brief: Butterfly rash

Dr. Clarence Wimberly
Dr. Clarence Wimberly