What is irritable bowl syndrome?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
In brief: It is real
Ibs is very common.
Probably more common in women than men. Can be of various types. Primarily diarrhea. Primarily constipation. Mixed with alternating diarrhea and constipation. Pain. Cramping, bloating and general discomfort in the abdomen. There are medications to help, bio-feed back and cogniitve behavioral therapy. See pcp. May need colonoscopy or other work up pending age and risks.

In brief: It is real
Ibs is very common.
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional disorder without a known cause.  Empirically it is known that useful medications modify autonomic neural function.  My clinical research has discovered a group (N=20) of male extreme sport enthusiasts who suffer from IBS.  The unifying clinical finding was that they all had sacroiliac joint (SIJ) injury and hypermobility (subluxation) disorder (diagnosed via criteria published in the Occupational Disabilities Guidelines).  I speculate that SIJ hypermobility stimulates the pelvic presacral plexus & contained parasympathetic nerves that innervate the colon, inducing colon spasm and evacuation.  IBS highly correlates with fibromyalgia, which is likewise common in persons with SIJ subluxation disorder. The reason for a "spectrum of disorder" for fibromyalgia is that the cause, pelvic girdle instability due to pelvic ligament laxity, manifests differently in individuals & genders.  The body musculoskeletal tower is constantly stressed by gravity & a body tilted above an unstable pelvis incurs widely ranging chronic muscle spasm leading to varying densities of painful trigger points. The delicate female pelvis is more easily injured & women have an higher incidence of Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (inherited trait) that contributes to pelvis instability.  Female pelvices are subject to varying intensities of permanent injury related to frequency of childbirth.  In both sexes, severity of fibromyalgia symptoms is a function of musculoskeletal deconditioning & upper body mass borne by an unstable pelvis.  On a Pain Board at Quora.com I discusses these dynamics, which are the true cause of fibromyalgia.  I also discuss my study of male extreme sport enthusiasts who have IBS. 
Dr. Michael Rothman
In brief: Multifactorial cause
Irritable bowel syndrome is the multifactorial consequence of hormonal, immune system and nervous system dysfunction resulting from genetic predispositions and dietary and environmental insults.
The predominant symptoms like diarrhea cramps constipation are the result of autonomic nervous system instability. Pts like you may benefit from a metabolically directed approach check out mdwellnessmd.Com.

In brief: Multifactorial cause
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Jonathan Jassey