After my palm caught my fall, I have a swollen thumb, scrape at the bottom of the thumb and a tender thumb. The fall happened five hours ago. Should I see a doctor?

Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Must X-ray
You need an x-ray to make sure you don't have a broken bone!

In brief: Must X-ray
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Robert Gluck
Surgery - Hand Surgery
First off clean the scrapes with soap and water, peroxide.
Then rice- rest, ice, compression, and elevation. But you should see a doctor. There are many things that can injured from a fall like that, some of which would need special treatment. For example, there are fractures at the base of the thumb into the joint that will be a problem if left untreated. Same for certain types of wrist fractur.

Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. Robert Gluck
David Miller
In brief: Not a bad idea
It's a good idea to get injuries from falls like this checked out, especially if they continue to hurt after rest, ice and ibuprofen, or if the thumb is particularly discolored or deformed looking.
The main concerns are the blood flow or damage to one of the nerves in your hand, and proper mechanical functioning of your thumb. But if you can use it normally it's probably ok.

In brief: Not a bad idea
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Robert Gluck
Sorry to disagree but "using it normally" is not the criteria really and those are not the "main concerns". As a hand surgeon I see many patients who present late with bad injuries i.e especially missed Scaphoid injuries. Scapho-lumate injuries, UCL tears and even Bennett's fractures- all bad players that are better treated earlier rather than later
Dr. James Cunnar
In brief: If it doesnt improve
It's likely just a contusion or sprain, but if the pain doesn't improve by tomorrow, see your doctor for a check up.
Keep the scrapes clean. Monitor for redness or signs of infection (drainage or pain).

In brief: If it doesnt improve
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. James Cunnar
2 comments
Dr. Robert Gluck
Dr. James Cunnar
Dr. Gluck, thank you for your clarification. For the vast majority of injuries, f/u with a physician within 24 hours is appropriate. Obviously, if there was deformity or laxity, then immediate care should be sought. Thanks again.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine