A friend was initially diagnosed with kidney stones but it is now being suggested that its an internal tear. What tests would determine this?

In brief: Nonsense

I have no understanding of an internal tear. Get to a urologist for a proper evaluation with a good history, physical exam and urinalysis.
Your urologist will choose an imaging modality.

In brief: Nonsense

Dr. Richard Levin
Dr. Richard Levin

In brief: Imaging

I'm not sure what you mean by an "internal tear." the best way to diagose a kidney stone is either with ultrasound or a ct scan.
An ultrasound will not identify ureteral stones. , so in some circumstances a ct scan is a better test. Your friends physician will have determined which test to obtain.

In brief: Imaging

Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. Howard Adler
Dr. George Klauber
You can get ruptured blood vessel with trauma to a swollen (hydronephrotic) kidney. Agree term "internal tear of a kidney" is vague and misleading and essentially does not signify anything. An internal tear of the spleen can only occur after either severe external or inraoperative surgical trauma
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery