I have a jabbing pain in my left knee when climbing stairs following heavy exercise. What could this be and can I keep running?

In brief: Maybe ant. knee pain
Anterior knee pain (patello-femoral dysfunction) is a commonly seen "overuse" injury that can appear after a person increases his training, changes running surfaces, changes to different shoes, gets a separate leg injury that results in slight gait changes, gets some weakness in the quads, etc.
.. A primary care, sports med, or orthopedic doctor's exam can help. Meanwhile, running less is helpful.

In brief: Maybe ant. knee pain
Dr. Paul Cohen
In brief: Shin Splints?
This may be from a variety of sources(they used to call them "shin splints" way back) most likely you developed some tendonitis in the tissues supporting the knee and thigh.
Aside from adequate stretching pre- and post-exercising; you should "rest it" for a few days before any activity; especially running. Also ensure the proper footwear. If symptoms recur see your doctor for proper exam.

In brief: Shin Splints?
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine