Is biofeedback effective for insomnia? What kind of biofeedback works best?

Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Possibly
Works in few cases when cause of insomnia is anxiety, stress or depression.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Richard Bunt
In brief: My 2 cents
I'm sure some would challenge this as anecdotal, and justifiably so, but in my clinical experience of having treated approx.
10, 000 pts., the vast majority of sleep problems are not primary, but rather caused by something else, like anxiety, adhd, or mood disorders. Biofeedback may very well work, but first i'd recommend a careful psychiatric evaluation by a tenacious, experienced, diagnostician.

In brief: My 2 cents
Dr. Richard Bunt
Dr. Richard Bunt
Dr. Richard Bunt
Only if whatever treatment you have subsequently been given is not working. Just because something may "run in the family" doesn't make it genetic, and even a "genetic susceptibility" doesn't necessarily mean it's a "primary" disorder. I would exhaust other options first, and I'm certainly not suggesting that there is any guarantee of success, but a shrink MAY still be able to help.
Dr. Paul Cohen
In brief: Personal choice
Biofeedback is an alternative medicine treatment for insomnia; and works well if done correctly.
Guided imagery can also be of benefit; as to what kind works best the answer is really a matter of personal choice. Seek out a practitioner that has experience in the field and seek the answer to this question together...Sometimes the journey is just as effective as the remedy.

In brief: Personal choice
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Dennis Clifford
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
Biofeedback can be very helpful for insomnia.
Specifically something called cognitive behavioral therapy is designed to teach you techniques that will improve your chances of falling asleep. Many psychologists offer cbt training.

Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Dennis Clifford