I have interstitial cystitis and I have tried all the regular treatments including diet. I am in severe pain all the time. What can I do?

Dr. Scott Beard
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology

In brief: See pelvic pain

Specialist. It's possible you may have concomitant problems like ibs or endometriosis or pelvic floor dysfunction.
There r several more meds and diet is not just tried - u have to stay with it.

In brief: See pelvic pain

Dr. Scott Beard
Dr. Scott Beard
Dr. Armando Russo

In brief: Good news

There is effective treatment for ic.
Elmiron (pentosan) is a medication that may help. Also, controlled distention of your baldder under anesthesis (hydrodistention) done your urogynecologist or urologist can also be helpful.

In brief: Good news

There is effective treatment for ic.
Dr. Armando Russo
Dr. Armando Russo
Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology

In brief: Antibiotics.

Unless you have done so already, you need to go see your doctor for a prescription of antibiotics, notably trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole (tmp-smz) or nitrofurantoin.
This regimen is particularly given for recurrent bacteriuria and might be helpful for your issue. It would be needed daily or 3 times/week. At any rate, you don't know unless you see your doctor to find the right abx. For this.

In brief: Antibiotics.

Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. Joseph Woods
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine