If I feel someone is depressed, what shall I do?

Dr. Ricardo Bernal

In brief: Suggest evaluation

Suggest to the person that you are concerned about to make an appointment with a psychologist (counselor) or psychiatrist.
Either specialist will be able to tell if the patient needs counseling and/or medication due to a chemical imbalance.

In brief: Suggest evaluation

Dr. Ricardo Bernal
Dr. Ricardo Bernal
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Depends

If "someone" is a person related or very close to you, ask discretely about their mood, suggesting they visit their doctor if they are excssively sad or depressed.
Offer to accompany them if needed to their doctors visit. Try not to be an "amateur" psychologist with them. If they are suicidal, contact their family or 9-1-1.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Donald Hazlett
I would also suggest that there may be people one doesn't know who may even in a casual contact reveal serious or even suicidal depression and they deserve the same kind and appropriate intervention. I would take their revelation as a plea for help and follow it up with intervention that is helpful and encouraging and privides safety for that person.
Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Open dialog

Try to enter into a conversation with them and ask how things are going.
People often need to share their feelings and how they are doing. Use open ended questions. Ask "how are you feeling" "don't you seem to notice a lot of depressed people these day?" and such, to lead you into having them open up to you. Then be supportive and maybe suggest they see a mental health professional. B suppo.

In brief: Open dialog

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Be supportive

Refer to specialist for individual and group counseling.

In brief: Be supportive

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali