What's recovery time for an umbilical hernia repair .?

Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Short

Most umbilical hernia repairs are done outpatient and require a very short recovery.
If you do a lot of liftinig, bending and stooping and straining your time for recovery may be longer (~2-4 weeks). If you have a less strenuous vocation, then perhaps less than a week to up to 2 weeks. It will depend on your size, condition, health and complications and your doctor's opinion.

In brief: Short

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
2 comments
Dr. Barry Rosen
Recovery is influenced by the size of the hernia as well as the need for mesh repair. In general, I advise my patients to plan on missing app. 1 week of work unless their jobs require heavy lifting, in which case it may take 2-3 weeks.
Dr. Paul Harper
I find that the type of work the patient does also influences when he/she may return to work. Somebody who sits behind a desk, and uses a computer can return to work in a day or two. More manual labor will require up to 2 to 3 weeks.
Dr. Charlene Sojico

In brief: Quick

2-4 weeks, more so with laparascopic umbilical hernia repair.

In brief: Quick

Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Lois Freisleben-Cook
It depends on the age of the patient and what they do on a daily basis
Dr. David Henry
Surgery

In brief: 2 1/2-4 weeks

The recovery time is longer for large hernias (such as those that contain intestines) that are fixed with a large, open incision.
Recovery for those is about 4 weeks. Recovery for small umbilical hernias and those fixed laparoscopically is about 2 1/2 weeks. During that time, you shouldn't lift heavy objects, or the hernia could recur. Pain is proportional to the size of the incisions.

In brief: 2 1/2-4 weeks

Dr. David Henry
Dr. David Henry
Dr. Shontae Buffington