Is a vegan diet and better than a vegetarian diet?

Dr. Lonny Horowitz
Bariatrics

In brief: NO

I not a fan of either and don't advise either unless there is a religious or other reason to follow such an extreme program.

In brief: NO

Dr. Lonny Horowitz
Dr. Lonny Horowitz

In brief: Not the strict vegan

A vegan, ovo-vegetarian, lacto-vegetarian, and lacto-ovo-vegetarian are all types of vegetarians.
Because some things (calcium, vit.D, vit.B12, protein) are harder to get if a vegetarian eats no egg or dairy, a vegan has a much harder time finding all the nutrients he needs to stay healthy. However, a lacto- or ovo-vegetarian must be wise enough not to overeat fats from yolks and milk (butterfat).

In brief: Not the strict vegan

Dr. Michael Rothman

In brief: Worse

The long term effect of a low fat, vegan diet is malnutrition.
Used for a short time (4-6 weeks) a low fat diet can be employed for weight loss. However, the long lerm effects of low fat diets are miserable. A low fat - high carb diet will lead to high Insulin levels, high triglcyerides, low hdl, metabolic syndrome and finally high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. www.edibolic.com.

In brief: Worse

Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Not Clear

Despite pop culture beliefs, I am unaware of any serious , scientific proof that either is better than a normal diet in moderation.
Particularly in kids.So be careful.

In brief: Not Clear

Particularly in kids.So be careful.
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology