What medication can I take prior to intensive skiing to prevent muscle aches afterwards?

Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Hmmmm!

You may wish to premedicate with an Ibuprofen type of drug if you are in good health, have no hypertension or on medications that would be adversely affected by Ibuprofen or other nsaids, or have other medical conditons that this would aggrevate.
I would not do this often & would try to slow down a bit, stretch alot and use alot of ice afterwards. Moderation, moderation, moderation! blue slopes!

In brief: Hmmmm!

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Glen Kelley
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Ibuprofen

Ibuprofen has been shown to decrease muscle soreness after exercise.
The muscle soreness is due to inflammation inside the muscle cells due to the physical stress of the activity being more than the muscle cells are used to. Ibuprofen has anti-inflammatory properties.

In brief: Ibuprofen

Dr. Glen Kelley
Dr. Glen Kelley
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Hydration & breaks

Medications are not the mainstay for preventing muscular aches after intensive skiing.
Adequate hydration with water or your favorite sports beverage is most important. Energy from nutritious foods and snacks can also help. Frequentbreaks can also help the muscles being used most recuperate. Non-steroidal anti--inflammatory medications can help dampen the effects of muscular aches and pains.

In brief: Hydration & breaks

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine