Are there any effective treatments for alopecia universalis?

Unfortunately No! Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder with varying extent of hairloss. Alopecia universalis is the most extensive and can be hard to treat. Sometime there is spontaneous improvement but the course is unpredictable. Treatment with agents that induce irritant dermatitis (dncb) and other immune modulators can be tried. However patients with alopecia totalis usually have a poorer prognosis.
Maybe. I have tried simvistatin a cholesterol lowering drug on extensive alopecia aerate with success. The dose is lowly raised to 40 mg per day. It is based on publication in medical literature. Other treatment options including biologics but these would very difficult to justify to insurance companies. Dncb and aquatic acid are topical irritants that have been used in the past. Talk to your doctor.