Are there any effective treatments for alopecia universalis?

Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dermatology
In brief: Unfortunately No!
Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder with varying extent of hairloss.
Alopecia universalis is the most extensive and can be hard to treat. Sometime there is spontaneous improvement but the course is unpredictable. Treatment with agents that induce irritant dermatitis (dncb) and other immune modulators can be tried. However patients with alopecia totalis usually have a poorer prognosis.

In brief: Unfortunately No!
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
2 comments
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
There are only two case reports one published in 2007 and the other in 2010 (both published in the same journal) describing 1 patient with universalis and 2 with totalis who demonstrated regrowth while being on both ezetimibe and simvastatin. Some of the patients also were receiving on going intra-lesional corticosteroid injections. I personally don't have any experience with using these agents.
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
I would recommend talking to your dermatologist and having him read the two case-reports and see if it may be worth having you try this treatment. Unfortunately the evidence is not strong (case reports only), but this does not mean that it's not worth trying. Remember that in both cases the patients were receiving combination of ezetimibe and simvastatin (not simvastatin alone). Hope this helps.
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology
In brief: Maybe
I have tried simvistatin a cholesterol lowering drug on extensive alopecia aerate with success.
The dose is lowly raised to 40 mg per day. It is based on publication in medical literature.Other treatment options including biologics but these would very difficult to justify to insurance companies. Dncb and aquatic acid are topical irritants that have been used in the past. Talk to your doctor.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried